Skip to main content

CSEC English: Preparing for Paper 3





The purpose of Paper 3:

The purpose of Paper 3 is to allow the student to respond to a particular issue. The student should answer the questions as if making a verbal speech in response to the topic given. 



To score well in Paper 3, students should:

Be able to find the main idea

Understand types and purposes of  media (The medium - poem, song, newspaper article, etc.- refers to the channel used by the writer to make his/her point)

Understand the difference between verbal and non-verbal presentations

Understand literary techniques (repetition, similes, metaphors, etc.)

Understand your audience (who are you speaking to? age, gender, social background)




Text  – Song by India Arie



I am not my hair

Little girl with the press and curl

Age eight I got a Jheri curl

Thirteen I got a relaxer

I was a source of so much laughter

At fifteen when it all broke off Eighteen

and went all natural

February two thousand and two

I went and did

What I had to do

Because it was time to change my life

To become the women that I am inside

Ninety-seven dreadlock all gone

I looked in the mirror

For the first time and saw that HEY…

I am not my hair

I am not this skin

I am not your expectations no no

I am not my hair

I am not this skin

I am a soul that lives within

What’d she do to her hair?

I don’t know it look crazy I

like it. I might do that.

Umm I wouldn’t go that far. I

know.. ha ha ha ha

Good hair means curls and wave

Bad hair means you look like a slave At

the turn of the century

It’s time for us to redefine who we be You

can shave it off

Like a South African beauty

Or get in on lock

Like Bob Marley

You can rock it straight Like

Oprah Winfrey

If it’s not what’s on your head

It’s what’s underneath and they say HEY…


“I am Not my Hair”, India Arie, Songs of Windswept Pacific,

Retrieved 09 March 2015 


Questions: 

1. Outline the main issue addressed in the text. (6 marks)


2.  Assess the appropriateness of that medium for the purpose of communicating the specific issue. (3 marks)


3. State THREE features that distinguish an oral presentation from a written presentation. (6 marks)

    An oral presentation uses body language which helps to emphasize the writer's point. A written presentation does not. 

    An oral presentation allows for immediate feedback, while a 

written presentation typically does not. 

    Written presentations tend to make use of more  formal language while an oral presentation can easily use both formal and informal.  


4. You have been asked to make an oral presentation on ONE of the issues identified. List THREE points you would discuss in the oral presentation.  (3 marks)


5.  Identify THREE features of the group to which the presentation would be made and THREE techniques that you would use to hold the attention of the group. (3 marks)

*features of the group means to describe your audience (age, background, etc.)


6. Create a response based on ONE of the points listed in 2 (a) above. You can use drama,

poetry, lyrics to a song or prose. Your response will be assessed for

• relevance of content

• organization of ideas

• effective use of language

• vivid word choice

• unique voice/style

Total 15 marks 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschool - Term 1 2023

Read the passage below and answer the questions that follow. Remember to always answer questions in a complete sentence.                                                                                                                                                                         Poverty Five times a day, the crowd of students flocked around the window through which the caretaker sold her cakes, then broke up in the yard to play and walk about, while heartily biting into long pieces of a type of gingerbread with jam. And five times a day I was forced to endure this spectacle without participating in it. I never had a cent to my name. I was forced to stand in the background, and the sight of those cakes the pupils bought in a joyous uproar and devoured greedily and freely about me, overwhelmed me with passionate desire. Thus I began filling myself with water from the tap, in a corner of the yard and, every now and then, I returned to it, trying to drown my stomach to keep it qui

CXC English 2023

                                        Persuasive Writing  Persuasion is the act or process of presenting arguments to move, motivate, or change your audience's mind.    Common Persuasive Techniques 1.Emotional Appeals: One persuasive technique is appealing to the audience’s emotions: Fears, desire to seem intelligent, need to protect their family, desire to fit in, etc.  2. Rhetorical Questions: Rhetorical questions are questions that do not require an answer Example: Do we want our children growing up in a world where they are threatened with violence on every street corner? 3. Repetition: By repeating letters, words and phrases the author can reinforce an argument and ensure that the point of view being made stays in an audience's mind. 4. Evidence: Statistics, expert opinions, research findings and anecdotal evidence. 5. Inclusive and Exclusive Language: 'People like you and me don't want to see this happen' Activity 1  Read the persuasive piece and answer the

Term 3 - Online Classes

  Vocabulary 1. alienate - cause to become unfriendly or hostile 2. barricade - obstacle 3. belligerent - eager to fight  4. haughty - arrogant and full of pride 5. usurp - seize and take control without authority 6. Castigate - To inflict severe punishment on 7. Enigmatic - puzzling 8. Finesse - Skillful handling of a situation  nomadic - traveling from place to place uncouth - clumsy or impolite heartrending - causing grief or sorrow celestial - having to do with the sky or heavens pseudonym - a false name (usually of an author/ someone famous) meticulous - extremely or overly careful in thinking about or dealing with small details ---------------------------- Write a word similar in meaning to the underlined word. 1. The robust man effortlessly lifted the bookshelf across the room. 2. The recreation hall can only accommodate twenty persons for the party. 3. Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water.  4. It is an offence not to wear a seatbelt while driving.  5. A putrid odour emanated