Skip to main content

Saturday, May 14, 2022

My Most Prized Possession

Write a composition entitled, ‘My Most Prized Possession’. It should include the following: 


The possession (Describe it well...What does it look like?)

How did you get it? (My parents helped me to order it…)

How much did it cost? (I saved my money….)

What do you do with it? (I spend many hours….)

3 reasons why you like it so much (I like it because….)

How does it make you feel? (Use several adjectives to describe emotions/ feelings)


Read the sample story below before getting started. Pay attention to the highlighted, descriptive phrases. 


My most prized possession is my flute. It is the most beautiful and precious thing that I own. It is an elegant musical instrument. I regard my flute highly because I had to work very hard to get it and I believe it was quite expensive. 

I first asked my parents for a flute a few years ago after hearing an orchestra play. I was amazed by the soft sounds the flute could make. I also loved how shiny and silver it was. At first, my mother said “No,” but she soon changed her mind. She decided that if I was able to place in the top three in my class, then she would buy me the flute. 

That year in school, I worked extra hard in my tests. I wanted to show her that I could earn the flute. I even saved up some money to help out with the cost. Then, on a quiet Saturday evening, my mother surprised me with a rectangular black box. When I opened it, the flute was there, perfectly sitting in the soft, red cushioning of the box. 

My flute brings me joy. I feel relaxed and peaceful whenever I play. Though my music lessons are sometimes challenging, I try very hard because I want to get better and better. 

Since I have my flute, I get to play briefly at church with other children who also have musical instruments. This is normally a great time. We play many songs together and everyone cheers us on. 

While other children may value their phones, fancy clothes or expensive sneakers, for me, my most prized possession is my flute.  I don’t know what I would do without it!




Warm up: 

Letters of Complaint

Why are letters of complaint relevant?


What are 2 ways how this situation may be resolved?

Your assignment: 

You are a third-form student. You worked hard on a project for 3 weeks It was worth 20% of your promotion score. Your teacher accidentally misplaced the file and there is no time for the project to be redone. 
Write a letter of complaint to the principal of your school giving the necessary details and explaining what you would like done to solve the matter. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschool - Term 1 2023

Read the passage below and answer the questions that follow. Remember to always answer questions in a complete sentence.                                                                                                                                                                         Poverty Five times a day, the crowd of students flocked around the window through which the caretaker sold her cakes, then broke up in the yard to play and walk about, while heartily biting into long pieces of a type of gingerbread with jam. And five times a day I was forced to endure this spectacle without participating in it. I never had a cent to my name. I was forced to stand in the background, and the sight of those cakes the pupils bought in a joyous uproar and devoured greedily and freely about me, overwhelmed me with passionate desire. Thus I began filling myself with water from the tap, in a corner of the yard and, every now and then, I returned to it, trying to drown my stomach to keep it qui

CXC English 2023

                                        Persuasive Writing  Persuasion is the act or process of presenting arguments to move, motivate, or change your audience's mind.    Common Persuasive Techniques 1.Emotional Appeals: One persuasive technique is appealing to the audience’s emotions: Fears, desire to seem intelligent, need to protect their family, desire to fit in, etc.  2. Rhetorical Questions: Rhetorical questions are questions that do not require an answer Example: Do we want our children growing up in a world where they are threatened with violence on every street corner? 3. Repetition: By repeating letters, words and phrases the author can reinforce an argument and ensure that the point of view being made stays in an audience's mind. 4. Evidence: Statistics, expert opinions, research findings and anecdotal evidence. 5. Inclusive and Exclusive Language: 'People like you and me don't want to see this happen' Activity 1  Read the persuasive piece and answer the

Term 3 - Online Classes

  Vocabulary 1. alienate - cause to become unfriendly or hostile 2. barricade - obstacle 3. belligerent - eager to fight  4. haughty - arrogant and full of pride 5. usurp - seize and take control without authority 6. Castigate - To inflict severe punishment on 7. Enigmatic - puzzling 8. Finesse - Skillful handling of a situation  nomadic - traveling from place to place uncouth - clumsy or impolite heartrending - causing grief or sorrow celestial - having to do with the sky or heavens pseudonym - a false name (usually of an author/ someone famous) meticulous - extremely or overly careful in thinking about or dealing with small details ---------------------------- Write a word similar in meaning to the underlined word. 1. The robust man effortlessly lifted the bookshelf across the room. 2. The recreation hall can only accommodate twenty persons for the party. 3. Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water.  4. It is an offence not to wear a seatbelt while driving.  5. A putrid odour emanated